Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Valentine worthy smiles...

As I sit back this afternoon and take in the wonderful warm weather we are having I cannot help to think that I can hardly believe the Holidays came and went. Here we are one foot in the door of February and moving through 2012.

I don't know about you but February always brings warm fuzzies to my heart as I think about Valentines Day and things to do for my lovey this year. It always brings a little smile from inside. Realistically, subconsciously and more likely it has to do with the fact that we have all been being good with our diet and exercise since the holiday indulgence and this is our first opportunity to feed our chocolate addiction.

Oddly enough, as all good veterinarians would, I think of Valentine's Day and smiles, which leads me to think of pets' that smile, which leads me to thinking of teeth and dental health and oddly enough February is National Dental Health Month! Whew, that is a lot of thinking!

I stepped away for a moment to see four of the cutest shih tzu patients I have seen in a while and was asked one of our most common questions in practice, "How are their teeth?". My answer for them and all of you is this...

Dental disease is among us every day. It is in the human world and in the veterinary world. There are two things you will see on teeth:
1.) Plaque: the white, creamy substance found on teeth. Contains saliva, food debris and bacteria. If not removed will turn into tartar (also know as calculus)

2.) Tartar (Calculus): the hard brown cement-like substance formed by plaque that has not been removed. Very damaging to the tooth and surrounding gingival tissue.

In our office we grade dental disease on a scale of 1-4.

Grade I: plaque is present, generally no tartar to speak of and no gingival involvement. The damage at this point IS REVERSIBLE!

Grade II: Plaque, mild tartar and mild reddness of the gingiva (gum tissue around teeth). The damage at this point IS REVERSIBLE!

Grade III: Plaque, moderate tartar, moderate to severe gingival irritation, maybe sores. The damage at this point IS NOT REVERSIBLE!!

Grade IV: Plaque, severe tartar, severe gingival irritation, sores, loose teeth and infection. The damage at this point IS NOT REVERSIBLE!!

All pets with a Grade II or above need to have a professional dental prophylaxis (cleaning) performed under general anesthesia at a veterinary office.

Look at your pet tonight. Did they smile back? Is their halitosis so bad that you cannot stand to go into the room with them?

Check back here this month to see how this dental disease can affect your pet's health and nutrition.

Contact one of our clinics today and ask how we can help your pet smile from the inside out!

No comments:

Post a Comment